What is pupil premium funding?
Pupil premium funding from the Government is given to schools to help pupils reach their full potential, regardless of their background or financial situation. It’s provided for pupils who:
- Are registered for free school meals
- Have been registered for free school meals at any point in the past 6 years
- Are, or have been, in care
- Have parents in the armed forces
Schools are able to spend the funding as they wish as long as we can demonstrate the allocation improves the attainment of Pupil Premium children.
At Moorlands Primary School, we get an extra £1,345 for the financial year of 2020-2021 for every eligible pupil who is registered for free school meals. This extra money could make a real difference to the quality of education we offer. Please take a look at our Pupil Premium Strategy for 2020-2021 below for full details of funding allocation and the Impact Statement for spending for the academic year 2019-2020.
Is my child eligible for free school meals?
Your child might be eligible if you access:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on
- Universal Credit, provided you have an annual net earned income not exceeding £7,400 (£616.67 per month)
Universal infant free school meals
Currently, pupils in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 are entitled to a free school meal thanks to a different government funding scheme known as universal infant free school meals (UIFSM). You shouldn’t confuse UIFSM with free schools meals and the pupil premium. If your child is in Reception, Year 1 or Year 2 and is eligible for free school meals according to the criteria above, you should still register because we’ll receive the extra pupil premium funding.
Does my child have to eat the free school meals?
No. Pupils who are registered for free school meals don’t have to eat them. If you’re eligible but you want your child to have packed lunches you should still register because the school will receive the funding which can support your child in other ways.
How do I register?
You only need to register once at school. Leaflets are freely available in our Reception area or please ask a member of our Office Team at the main reception desk. Alternately, you can telephone the Office on 01484 655800 or email email@example.com
For more information about pupil premium please click below for details of how the pupil premium has been spent in the past academic year and how it will be spent this year. If you have any questions or specific concerns, please contact Miss D Augustine (Assistant Head Teacher).