Science – Living things and their Habitats Week 3
The objective of this lesson is for you to understand that there are many ways of classifying animals.
1. One of the most common ways of classifying is to split animals into the two groups of vertebrates and invertebrates – what do these two terms mean? Look them up and then record the definitions.
2. Watch the video clip
3. Then watch the following video and answer the questions below.
Remember to get an adult’s permission before watching YouTube clips.
A. To classify means to _ _ _ _ things into _ _ _ _ _ _ to show how they are alike.
B. All animals are divided into two main groups, called the
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ and _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .
C. Do vertebrates have a backbone? YES NO
D. Do invertebrates have a backbone? YES NO
E. Give two animals which are invertebrates.
F. What are 3 characteristics of mammals?
· They give _ _ _ _ to their babies.
· They breathe air with their _ _ _ _ _.
· They have _ _ _ _ or _ _ _ on their body.
G. What are some characteristics of birds?
· They have _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ all over their body.
· They have a _ _ _ _, two _ _ _ _ _ and two _ _ _ _.
· They lay _ _ _ _ .
· Do all birds fly? YES NO
H. What are some characteristics of fish?
· Do all fish live underwater? YES NO
· They have special _ _ _ _ _ to help them breathe in water.
· They have _ _ _ _ _ _ on their body to help them move underwater.
· Do all fish have scales? YES NO
I. Which group of animals lives on water and land? _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .
J. What is a baby frog called?
LAMB TADPOLE TOAD
K. 3 characteristics of amphibians:
· Do they have dry skin or moist skin?
· What are their hands and feet like?
· How do frogs breathe underwater?
L. What are 3 characteristics of reptiles?
· They breathe using _ _ _ _ _.
· Their bodies are covered in _ _ _ _ _ _.
· Most lay _ _ _ _.
M. Which animal groups are cold-blooded?
MAMMALS BIRDS FISH AMPHIBIANS REPTILES
4. Use the Invertebrates Guide to help you and go on a hunt for invertebrates!
Remember this should be done in your own garden or as part of your once daily exercise. Make sure that an adult knows what you are doing and please respect the animals’ habitats.
Can you use the knowledge and skills that you have acquired so far to help you to identify invertebrates that you find?
Record those found and the habitat that you found them in.